How to build/launch an online marketplace app?
This is one of the first question you might had or any entrepreneur who are starting first would wanted to search. Building and launching an online marketplace is not a simple job when me and my cofounder wanted to build a social marketplace which we want to allow
- Students to sell their user books
- Allow anybody to donate their pre loved stuff
- And also allowing students to rent things from others
We are very young at that time. Just finished college, so we wanted to solve the problems that we had. So other students can be benefit from it. It was lot of testing and learning based on different experiments. One of the thought provoking resource in terms of marketplace business strategy is from Sangeet Paul. I recommend you to read his articles (be patient and read them, it’s a Gem!)
Fast forward 7 years, the platform economy rises to a great height and many people like you wanted to disrupt different industry through platform business model. This a good decision I would say. So we decided we should make the infrastructure affordable for anybody to start their marketplace startups. Hence the Tradly platform.
Am not sure exactly sure what stage you are in your entrepreneurial, however I would use assumption based scenario and see how we can help you out.
Some of the assumptions
- You don’t know what is marketplace and what’s the context behind it
- You already have idea and just want to validate by launching one
- Confident that this idea, just need to know how to develop the marketplace
- Confused about whether to build own solutions or use pre built marketplace solutions
- Or you want to know what is the exact features that need to be in marketplace
- Growing a marketplace
- Marketplace Features
Components of any Marketplace
This below image from him gives a glimpse of how a marketplace component should be. By thinking from this framework, it allows to create and launch an online marketplace in more systematic way.
- Producers & Consumers are the players who play in this platform
- Seed is the interaction which allow 2 sides to interact. In my opinion, the evolution of a marketplace is consumption of informations(like a newspaper) > Engagement (like social apps-fb,tw,ig) > curation (Like pinterest) > Transaction(Amazon, Etsy) > Movements of products- after transaction job of delivery(like food delivery, product/digital Or movement of service (online service or offline service)
- Magnet, Toolbox and Matchmaker are the part of platform owner which is you who should develop things for the two sides to engage and make different interactions. Example: social elements to like, comment or chat tools for both party to interact or payment gateways for both people to interact , etc.
- Toolbox are the one which allow supply side to create more things. For example: You giving a something to the seller to create something and allow them to sell OR give a tool for them to promote their stuff to grow more, etc.
- For more about this, read here or watch this video of platform thinking
If you already have an idea but not sure about the product market fit of the business.
Assuming you are on the confusion whether to go ahead with your idea or not. There are few ways you can approach.
If you have the strong funding capital with minimum of USD30k for next 6months, you can hire a team and build everything from scratch to get 100% exactly on what you wanted. This will be a trial and error experiment from setting up the team to designing the right solutions and then bringing the product into live. Costly, risky but if it happens, you successfully cross the first stage. Then you keep continue managing the team and keep adding features.
Let’s say you have a Budget of less than 20,000. And you want to get the product into life within one month and start testing the idea, what can you do?
You can use services like Tradly platform to launch your marketplace idea with changing the branding of the app according to you. We have pre built solutions that can be customised according to your branding and you can start testing the demo in 5working days and then next 5working days we can help you to launch 🚀 your app in play store and App Store.
If you already sure about the idea and see many related players are doing well.
This means the idea is a typical one but the strategy of executing and positioning could be different. Or even you just want to select niche from the general marketplace and focus on that. If that is the case, and you want to do lot of front end design customisation, you can buy Tradly platform Growth package to change the app front end design and grow the platform,
If you are looking for Resources to learn about growing marketplace (not technical development)
The resources in this link has vast resources about growing marketplaces.
Each online marketplace has a different feature set